These steps are for you as an MP rather than your staff.
- Agree with any Member who is eligible to vote in divisions that they will be your proxy and cast your vote as and when instructed by you.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org providing the following:
- A statement that you are eligible to apply for either the parental leave proxy scheme, or the pandemic proxy scheme.
- The name of the Member who has agreed to be your proxy.
- The date when you want your proxy voting period to start (and, in the case of parental leave, end). It can last up to seven months for the biological mother of a baby, or for the primary or single adopter of a baby or child (of which a maximum of one month must be taken before the due date or adoption date and a maximum of six months after). It can last up to two weeks for the biological father of a baby, the partner of the person giving birth or the second adopter of a baby of child.
- You must submit your application before the rise of the House on the previous sitting day or by 3pm on a non-sitting Friday.
- The Speaker will issue a certificate, which will appear in the Votes and Proceedings no later than the sitting day on which it takes effect. The certificate will show your name, the duration of the arrangement (in the case of parental leave) and the name of the Member you have chosen as your proxy.