These steps are for submitting an EDM online. If you prefer to use a hard copy, please read how to submit an EDM on paper.
You or your staff can complete these steps, but you will need to register your staff to use the MemberHub. ##Steps
- You can only table an EDM when the House is meeting. If you submit it at other times, it won’t be tabled and published until the House meets again.
- Go to the online MemberHub (https://memberhub.parliament.uk/):
- Click ‘submit’ (towards the top of the screen) and choose ‘Early Day Motion’.
- Enter the title and text of the EDM. The title should be short and neutral. The text must be a single sentence of no more than 250 words beginning “That this House…” Use semi-colons to divide the sentence up if necessary. You can get advice from the Table Office if you’re unsure about the wording, or look at some examples. Check your EDM conforms to the rules for EDMs. Once you’ve entered the title and text, click ‘next’.
- Your name will appear on the next page as the sponsor. If you have an interest to declare, click ‘action’ to the right of your name and select ‘add relevant interest.’
- Select any MPs who have agreed to sign the EDM (you don’t need any other signatures and other MPs can sign the EDM after it has been submitted.) Arrange the first six names in the order in which you would like them to appear when the EDM is published. Click ‘next.’
- On the confirmation page, you can save the EDM as a draft, or click ‘submit’.
- The Table Office will check your EDM and contact you if there’s a problem. Once the Table Office has approved your EDM, it’s been tabled.