Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Find guidance on temporary procedures during the pandemic including voting, questions and statements. Members can find detailed guidance on participating virtually and voting on the Parliamentary intranet (please note: this link will only work if you have a parliamentary email account.)

Who can submit and withdraw amendments

You can submit and withdraw your own amendments. You can also do this on behalf of another MP if you have their permission.

You can submit an amendment for the committee stage of the bill even if you’re not a member of the public bill committee. But you would need a member of the committee to sign the amendment and act on your behalf in the committee meeting and ‘move’ the amendment, so that it could be debated.

If you have registered your staff with the Public Bill Office, they can submit and withdraw amendments on your behalf. Staff that have been registered with the Public Bill Office are known as introduced assistants.