Skip to main content

Petitioning against hybrid bills

Your constituents can object to a hybrid bill if the bill would affect them directly and specially. They do this by petitioning against it.

A petition against a hybrid bill is different from a paper petition or an e-petition. It’s a document, in a specific format, explaining a person or organisation’s objection to a bill.

Their petition should set out:

• who the petitioners are • the particular effects the bill would have on them • what changes they want made to the bill (they can’t ask for the whole bill to be rejected)

If your constituency is specially and directly affected by the bill you can submit a petition for changes to the bill, and the select committee will hear your case in the same way as other petitioners. If there are people or organisations in you constituency who have petitioned against the bill, it’s also possible for you to represent them in front of the select committee if they wish.

Dates for petitioning times are listed on the page for each bill on Bills before Parliament on Parliament’s website. Petitions used to have to be submitted in person, but can now be submitted online, by post or by email. There’s a £20 administration fee.

Constituents can find out more about petitioning against a hybrid bill by contacting the House of Commons Private Bill Office (email or phone 020 7219 3250).