These steps are for you as an MP, rather than your staff, although your staff can help you with steps 1 and 2.
You don’t have to be a member of the committee to submit or move an amendment in a European committee, but only committee members can vote.
- Find the motion to be considered at the European committee, in the European Business page on Parliament’s website or in hard copy from the Vote Office.
- Write your amendment. The wording is: "to leave out [the words you want to omit from the motion] and insert [your words]", or, if you want to leave out more than six words, "from 'x' to 'y' and insert [your words]." The amendment must: be relevant to the original motion; not achieve the same effect as voting against the motion;not be unintelligible, ungrammatical, vague, or mocking.
- Phone the Clerk of European Committees on 3256 to arrange a time to discuss your proposed amendment. Once the Clerk has accepted your amendment, it has been tabled. The deadline for tabling amendments is the rise of the House on the sitting day before the committee meeting.
- The Chair will decide whether to select your amendment for debate and announce the decision at the start of the debate in the European committee.
- If your amendment is selected, you should move it during your speech.