These steps are for you as an MP, rather than your staff, although your staff can help you with step 1.
- Find out which topics are being debated on the estimates day(s). You can check by looking at Future Business section of the Order Paper the week before.
- Write to the Speaker’s Office in advance explaining which day you would like to speak in the debate, and your reasons for wanting to make a speech.
- On the day that you have asked to make your speech, make sure you are in the Chamber to hear the opening speeches.
- When a speech finishes, stand in your place to indicate that you would like to speak.
- Once you’ve spoken, you should remain for at least the next two speeches and return for the closing speeches.