These steps are for you as an MP although your staff can help you with steps 1 and 2.
- Identify your reasons for not wanting the bill to continue at second or third reading.
- Write a reasoned amendment in the form: “That this House declines to give a second/third reading to the […] Bill because [reasons].” You can look at examples of reasoned amendments here.
- Contact the Public Bill Office (email PBOHoC@parliament.uk or call 3251) to discuss your reasoned amendment and make sure it is eligible to be selected for debate.
- Take your reasoned amendment to the Table Office in person. You need to do this by the time the House finishes meeting on the sitting day before the second or third reading debate. A sitting day is a day when the House is meeting.
- Once the Table Office has accepted your reasoned amendment, it has been tabled. The Speaker will then decide whether to select it for debate.